Taking a few more steps...

By Vichara


With the help of inexpensive pedometer I am conducting an experiment. I am measuring how many steps I take in my “take-the-kids-to-school-and-get-to-work commuter lifestyle I have adopted in the last few years. I was hopeful that even given the reduced physical daily activities that I would still be ok but I was wrong. The guidelines with this device stated that you should take an average of 10,000 steps a day; I am currently half of that. Which of course made me think, as we do in this forum, if we are all taking enough steps in a day to help out the conditions around us all. Obviously there is no treadmill of compassion that could result in producing acts to help the world around us; we need to do that on our own. But I believe, as in making an effort to physically take more steps in a day to be measured on my device, we can take just a few more steps to help those around us that could be measured by a common device called, “the heart”.

effulgence • \ih-FULL-junss\ • noun
: radiant splendor : brilliance
Example Sentence:
The effulgence of the moon in the clear midnight sky provided enough light to help us safely make our way home.
Did you know?
Apparently, English speakers first took a shine to "effulgence" in the middle of the 17th century; that's when the word was first used in print in our language. "Effulgence" derives from the Latin verb "fulgēre," which means "to shine." "Fulgēre" is also the root of "fulgent," a synonym of "radiant" that English speakers have used since the 15th century. Another related word, "refulgence," is about 30 years older than "effulgence." "Refulgence" carries a meaning similar to "effulgence" but sometimes goes further by implying reflectivity, as in "the refulgence of the knight’s gleaming armor."

No Comment

Post a Comment